Are you preparing to sell a house and want to maximize its value?Â A few, simple home improvements can make a difference in the value and appeal of your home. The trick is finding the improvements that offer the best return on your investment. Our REALTORSÂ® at RE/MAX DFW Associates have created this list of six simple tips to help your sell your house.
Simple Tips to Make Your Home More Appealing to Buyers
We're going to keep most of the focus on items that many homeowners will be able to handle, but it's always best to be honest with yourself about home improvement projects. If you're not comfortable handling the details of a project, hiring a contractor may still be cost-effective. An experienced REALTORÂ® knows what to look for when selling a house, and can help you choose the improvements that will make the best impact on your budget.
1. Efficient Appliances â Homeowners have become especially interested in efficient appliances thanks to their environmental and money-saving benefits; the kitchen is always a good place to target for improvements. When shopping for appliances, be sure to look for the ENERGY STAR label. ENERGY STAR certified appliances go through rigorous testing, and must meet high standards for efficiency.
2. Sealing the Gaps â Continuing with the efficiency theme, a well-insulated home helps save on energy bills. Take the time to seal any areas where you feel a draft, especially around doors and windows. Basic silicone caulk is ideal for high-traffic areas, while spray-foam insulation works great in less visible areas.
3. A Clear View â When you're showing your home to potential buyers, it's important to be as clutter-free as possible. Clear as much space as you can by packing up knick-knacks and unused furniture, then clean any dusty corners. You want shoppers to be able to project their own future onto the âblank canvasâ of your home, so open space is a great start.
4. Add a Deck â This will require some outside help for all but the most handy of homeowners, but there's nothing like a summer barbecue on the patio in DFW. Adding a deck is a great way to enhance the value of your home, and is often more cost-effective than larger renovation projects.
5. Update Light Fixtures â Lighting is often overlooked by home sellers, but it's something that buyers definitely notice. Updating your light fixtures won't require much more than a trip to your favorite home improvement store and the cost is more than worth it. Check interior design websites to get an idea of current trends.
6. A Grand Entrance â It probably goes without saying that your front door is a very important place to get right. Apply a fresh coat of paint if needed, be sure that the area around your front door is clean, and make sure your doorknob is looking its best. Adding colorful potted plants is an inexpensive way to add some flair to your home's entrance.
Not sure which improvements fit best for your home? Do some brainstorming with your REALTORÂ® to identify the best options for your needs. Contact our team of REALTORSÂ® at RE/MAX DFW Associates for everything you need to buy and sell houses in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.