Buying a house often comes with mixed emotions. Touring homes and picturing your life in them can be downright exhilarating, but the process can also come with its share of stress--even if you've been through it before. Buying a home is a big financial decision, so it's natural to feel a bit of stress until everything falls into place. The good news is that there is plenty you can do to alleviate the stress, and keep your focus on the many enjoyable aspects of buying a home.
The big secret? Minimizing stress starts with strong preparation. RE/MAX DFW Associates works hard to reduce the stress for all parties involved in a real estate transaction. Here are five tips for beating home buying stress.
Stress-Free House Hunting
1. Ask a Real Estate Agent – Your REALTOR® facilitates home sales for a living, and has a deep understanding of the legal language in a purchase agreement. If you have questions about the process or need clarification on contract-related jargon, your REALTOR should be your go-to resource. If you have a question – big or small – don't be afraid to reach out. Simple, but one of the best ways to limit stress, especially around closing time.
2. A Trusting Relationship – While your REALTOR® should be your go-to source that can only happen if you're comfortable with person who's helping you buy a home. Do some research on local real estate agents, talk to trusted friends, and find the person who's right for you. In addition to helping eliminate stress, an experienced, client-focused REALTOR® has the skills to help you find the ideal home within a budget that works for you. This is a big decision, but getting it right will make your life much easier.
3. Planning Ahead – While it's good to be flexible on the smaller details (and maybe even some of the big ones), finding the right home is much easier when you have a clear idea of what you want. Make a list of your desired number of bedrooms and bathrooms, square footage, yard space, location, aesthetics, school districts, and anything else that will factor into your final decision. Doing so will help your REALTOR find the ideal match, and allows you to be confident in your decision once you find a home that fits your needs.
4. Mortgage Pre-Approval – This is a big one, and it's something that all home shoppers should strongly consider when diving into the real estate market. Getting pre-approved for a mortgage will significantly reduce the stress of buying a house, because it means you won't have to worry about financing once you find the right match. Pre-approval is also a big deal in the eyes of home sellers, because it shows that you are a serious shopper from the start.
5. Set a Timeline – Buying a home is certainly a process and it starts long before you start negotiating the terms of a sale. In addition to making a list of your desired features for your new home, it helps to set a rough timeline early in the process. Having a general idea of when you want to take each step and how you want to see things progress is a great way to limit stress, even if some steps take longer (or shorter!) than you expect.
Looking for a REALTOR who will make your life easier, and limit the stress of buying a house? Contact our team at RE/MAX DFW Associates, and shop for homes in the Dallas Fort Worth real estate market with the help of an experienced, local real estate team.