Five Home Security Tips That Won't Break the Bank
Home security should be an important priority for every homeowner and it does not have to break the bank. Our REALTORSÂ® in DallasÂ have created this list ofÂ low-tech but highly effective security tactics that any homeowner can implement.
- Vacation Safety â A fun, care-free vacation starts with security at home. Before you leave, be sure to check that windows are locked in addition to doors. Let trusted neighbors know you'll be gone so they can keep an eye out for anything unusual, and avoid sharing vacation details on social media before you leave. You can always light up Instagram with vacation photos when you get home.
- Automatic Light Timers â Want it to look like someone's home, even when you're out or on vacation? Automatic light timers make it easy to do just that. You can pick them up at any hardware or home improvement store, and they don't require any expertise to set up. If you're feeling really ambitious, you might even create some cardboard silhouettes to complete the illusion.
- Avoid Advertising Big Purchases â That big, beautiful flat-screen TV you picked up likely came in a very shiny box, and leaving that box at the curb may alert prying eyes to that lovely new TV in your living room. When you make a big purchase, break down the boxes and keep them out of sight until recycling day arrives. This is an especially good tip to remember around the holidays.
- Eliminate Outdoor Hiding Places â Thieves often target homes with crowded yards, because all of those obstructions make it easier to slip away in the dark. Keep your yard clean, your hedges trimmed, and your outdoor storage spaces locked to get rid of those pesky hiding places. Adding an outdoor light with a motion sensor will further enhance security.
- Update Locks â The locks on your doors, windows, and household containers are built to last, but not forever. Heavy use of doorknob locks causes wear over time, so it's a good idea to update your locks periodically when they begin to feel a little shaky. This is not something that you'll have to do often, which makes it an easy thing to forget. A bit of time with a locksmith can do wonders for your home security.
Home security is one of those areas where you can never achieve perfection, but the little steps you take to make your home safer really do add up over time. You can absolutely achieve better home security on a budget, as long as you're willing to invest the time to get there. We hope that these home security tips from our REALTORSÂ® in Dallas will give you some extra peace of mind the next time you're spending some time away from home.