Plano's 250-acre, $3 billion Legacy West project was started in early 2014 and is one of the largest real estate developments under construction in the country. By next year, almost 20,000 people will work in the area for some of North Texas' largest new employers.
"I've been known to call Legacy West the center of the universe. This is the year of the big bang. This coming year, many of the long-awaited projects such as Toyota, Liberty Mutual and a plethora of dining and shopping opportunities will be available." — Harry LaRosiliere, mayor of Plano
"February 2014, when we formed our partnership, our projections were based on a seven- to 10-year build-out. Here we are three years later and almost all built. One of the largest development projects in the country and the fastest." — Fehmi Karahan, Karahan Cos.
Here's a look at what's coming and where.
Starting at top left and moving clockwise:
1) Toyota Motor Corp. North American headquarters. A $350 million, 2 million-square-feet, 100-acre campus at Legacy Drive and State Highway 121 that will open in mid-2017 with more than 4,000 workers.
2) FedEx Office. A 265,000-square-feet international headquarters with 1,200 employees. This building opened in 2015 on Legacy Drive just south of S.H.121.
3) Gaedeke Group One Legacy West office tower. This 327,856-square-feet, 14-story multi-tenant office high-rise just opened on the east side of Legacy Drive and S.H.121. NTT Data will be the anchor business tenant.
4) JPMorgan Chase regional campus. The more than $300 million, 1-million-square-foot campus is at the southwest corner of Dallas North Tollway and S.H.121. It will open in late 2017 and ultimately have 6,000 employees.
5) Palladium Apartment Tower. A 30-story, 312-unit rental high-rise residential building to be built by Dallas-based developer Palladium USA International, just south of S.H.121.
6) Liberty Mutual Insurance regional office. The $325 million, 900,000-square-feet, two-tower office complex will open on the west side of Dallas North Tollway in late 2017 with 5,000 employees.
7) Windrose Tower. The 24-story, 95-unit luxury condo tower will start construction this summer on Headquarters Drive, just west of the Dallas North Tollway.
8) Villas at Legacy West. Urban single-family neighborhood with 127 homes next to the J.C.Penney headquarters complex. The first houses by Britton Homes are up for sale this year starting at more than $600,000.
9) Legacy West Urban Village. A $400 million development with 415,000-square-feet of retail and restaurant space, 325,000-square-feet of offices and 1,200 apartments at the northwest corner of Legacy Drive and Dallas North Tollway.
10) Renaissance Hotel. A 304-room, 15-story luxury hotel under construction on Legacy Drive just west of Dallas North Tollway. A development of the Sam Moon Group, the hotel will open in late 2017.
- Dallas Morning News, February 19, 2017